While watching celebrities on a red carpet or movie stars at a premier, you may have wondered, “How did they get such flawless teeth?” In many cases, the answer is porcelain veneers. This state-of-the-art procedure can instantly correct virtually any imperfection with your smile. It’s been a well-kept Hollywood secret for many years. Despite being a multipurpose cosmetic dentistry procedure, many patients don’t know what porcelain veneers are or how this treatment could enhance their smiles. Dr. Cindy Flanagan and our Houston dental team are proud to transform patients’ smiles with porcelain veneers. In the following blog post, learn more about the benefits of this treatment.
What are Porcelain Veneers?
Simply put, porcelain veneers are thin shells that fit over the front and sometimes sides of your teeth. The brilliant aspect of this innovative treatment is that, since they cover your teeth, porcelain veneers can easily alter almost every aspect of your smile.
When you choose porcelain veneers, Dr. Flanagan will have each shell custom made to fit your particular oral health needs and aesthetic preferences. Next, she will shape your teeth so they can easily hold the veneers and place temporary restorations while yours are being professionally manufactured. Finally, she will adhere each veneer to your natural enamel with a strong bonding agent, holding it in place for many years. Dr. Flanagan and our team regularly perform this treatment for outstanding results.
What Cosmetic Concerns Can Porcelain Veneers Treat?
One of the greatest virtues of porcelain veneers is their versatility. Since they go over the teeth, they can be used to correct:
- Crookedness. If you have mild orthodontic issues, porcelain veneers can slide over your teeth and instantly straighten them, without the hassle, discomfort, or effort of braces.
- Discoloration. Porcelain veneers can also hide stains and give your teeth a lustrous, pearly look. Whether your discoloration comes from particles getting stuck in the outside of the tooth (extrinsic) or due to issues within the tooth (intrinsic), porcelain veneers can help. Dr. Flanagan will work with you to choose an ideal color for your smile.
- Chipped teeth. Missing small portions of one or more teeth can be embarrassing and uncomfortable. Porcelain veneers can make your smile whole again.
- Tooth shape. If you’re unhappy with teeth that are too small or asymmetrical, porcelain veneers can cover them and give you the proportions you’ve always wanted for your grin.
- Spacing issues. Porcelain veneers can fill the gaps in your smile.
- Fractures. If your teeth are cracked, porcelain veneers can both cover and strengthen them, restoring their appearance and function.
Do you worry about one or more of the above issues with your smile? If so, porcelain veneers may be a great option for you.
The Perks of Porcelain
There are several types of veneers you can place over your teeth, but porcelain veneers are some of the most popular, and for very good reason. As their name indicates, porcelain veneers are made of high-quality ceramic. A few of the many advantages of this material include:
- Durability. Unlike plastic or resin, porcelain veneers last 10 to 15 years, or even longer with proper care. The tough ceramic also means porcelain veneers do a better job of protecting your natural enamel beneath.
- Stain resistance. That’s right! Porcelain is naturally much more impervious to stains than natural enamel or other veneer options. You won’t need to worry about teeth whitening.
- A natural look. WebMD points out: “porcelain veneers…better mimic the light reflecting properties of natural teeth.” When you get veneers, you want a dazzling smile, not an artificial one.
These are just a few of the reasons Dr. Flanagan often recommends porcelain veneers.
Are You Ready to Experience the Advantages of Porcelain Veneers?
Our Houston dental team would love to help you enjoy the benefits of this exceptional treatment! Contact us today to learn more about porcelain veneers and schedule your consultation with Dr. Flanagan.